Washington University in St. Louis School of Engineering & Applied Science, Department of Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering, Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory
Brauer Hall, Campus Box 1180, One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63130
Phone: (314) 935-5548
Research Fields and Expertise:
Bitumen and heavy oil upgrading; petroleum refining, hydrotreating and hydrocracking; process modeling, simulation and optimization; multiphase reactor design and flow dynamics; catalysis design and development; reaction kinetics and modeling; numerical computation and programming, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation, engineering process thermodynamics; non-intrusive methodologies and techniques in multiphase flow.
Selected Published Papers:
1. Chen, S., Chen, J., Gieleciak, R., Fairbridge, C., "Reactivity Characteristics of Pt-Encapsulated Zeolite Catalysts for Hydrogenation and Hydrodesulphurization", Appl. Catal. A: Gen., 415-416, 70-79, 2012.
2. Yao, S., Song, C., Nan, F., Botton, G. A., Chen, J., Fairbridge, C., Hui, R., Zhang, J. J., "Synthesis of Hierarchical Structured Porous MoS2/SiO2 Microspheres by Ultrasonic Spray Pyrolysis", Can. J. Chem. Engng, in printing, 2012.
3. Lam, V., Li, G., Song, C., Chen, J., Fairbridge, C., Zhang, J. J., and, Hui, R., "A Review on Electrochemical Desulphurization Technologies for Fossil Fuels", Fuel Proc. Tech., 98, 30-38, 2012.
4. Wang, Y., Chen, J., and Larachi, F., "Modeling and Simulation of Trickle-Bed Reactors Using Computational Fluid Dynamics: A State-of-the-Art Review", Can. J. Chem. Engng., in printing, 2012
5. Munteanu, M., Chen, J., "Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium (VLE)-Based Modeling for the Prediction of Operating Regimes in a Heavy Gas Oil Hydrotreater", Energy & Fuels, 26, 1230?1236, 2012.
6. Chen, J., Mulgundmath, V., and Wang, N., "Accounting for Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium in the Modeling and Simulation of a Commercial Hydrotreating Reactor", Ind. Engng. Chem. Research, 50, 1571-1579, 2011.
7. Chen, J., Mclean, N., and Hager, D., "Prediction of Molecular Weight and Its By-Boiling-Point Distribution of Middle Distillates from GC-FIMS", Energy & Fuel, 25, 719-726, 2011.
8. Nan, F., Song, C., Zhang, J. J., Hui, R., Chen, J., Fairbridge, C., and Botton, G. A., "STEM HAADF Tomography of Molybdenum Disulfide with Mesoporous Structure", ChemCatChem, 3 (6), 999-1003, 2011.